Products Print this Article
Products in the administration
Products are the bread and butter of the average OpenCart store. Therefore, it is essential that you learn how to manage your store's product inventory using the OpenCart administration side. Before adding products, you must make sure that you have all the necessary information about the product you are adding to the store. To get detailed information of your products to your customer, OpenCart requires this information to be gathered beforehand. The more information given to OpenCart about a specific product, the more informed the customer will be about that particular product when purchasing it from your store.
The Product section, accessed under Catalog, will display all the products available in the store.
Every row of product will contain the following information:
- Product Name
- Status: Selecting "Enabled" lets the product be visible in the store's store front. Selecting "Disabled" will remove the product from view.
Checking an individual box in the first column will select the product information within the same row. Once selected, you can choose to "Copy" or "Delete" the product. "Copy" will duplicate the product and it's information categories. "Delete" will remove the product selection (including its information) completely.
If you would like to look up a product in the product list, you can use "Filter" as a shortcut to search for it. For more information on the Filter tool, visit Filter. Pressing "Insert" in the top right corner will direct the administrator to a form to add new products.
Managing and adding products in the catalog
The complete list of store products can be found under Catalog > Products. If this is your first time in the Product section, you will notice the default products left over from the installation. These products can be used to experiment with and explore the OpenCart features before launching your store. You will eventually need to delete these products to make room for your store's products.
To delete the default products:
- Check the box left of the "Image column" in the list. This should select all the products on the page.
- Click the "Delete" button on the top right side.
- Press "OK" when a window pops up asking "Delete/Install cannot be undone! Are you sure you want to do this?".
There should now be a blank list to add individual products to. The "Insert" button directs the administrator to a page requiring product information under the following tabs:
Before products are added to the administration, product categories must already be established by the administrator. See Categories before continuing with this section. With the product categories created, products are now ready to be added to the catalog.
Saving the product
At this point in the guide, you will have completed all the steps and filled out all the appropriate information for the product. To complete the process of adding this product, click "Save". When you return to the Products page under Catalog, you will now see this product listed. You can choose to modify any of this information included above, at any time, by clicking "Edit" across from the product.
Product Tabs Explained.
The format of the General tab is identical to the General tab when creating a product category, with the addition of the Product Tags feature:
- Product Name
- Meta Tag Description: A summary to describe the product page to search engines.
- Meta Tag Keywords: Similar to meta tag description, but asks for a single keyword to describe the product.
- Description: Text that will describe this product on the product page, to be viewed by the customers in the store front of the shop.
- Product Tags: A tag to describe the product to the customers. If a customer types in this tag in the search box found in the header, the product will be displayed in the search results.
The data tab includes all the product criteria that will be included on the product page in the store front for customers to view:
Fill in the spaces above with the following information:
- Model: create a model number for the product using a combination of letters and numbers. (required)
- SKU (stock keeping unit): a random code for the product.
- UPC (universal product code): the product's unique barcode.
- Location: where the product is located.
- Price: set a price for the product.
- Tax Class: select a tax class category on this product that was made Settings > Localisation > Tax Classes. This will apply the tax in the checkout for the product. Select "None" if taxes will not be applied to this product.
- Quantity: The total amount available in the store for this specific product.
- Minimum Quantity: the minimum amount of product a customer must reach to add that product to their Shopping Cart.
- Subtract Stock: "Yes" will subtract stock from the quantity of the product (Ex: If there are 100 computers, and a customer buys 2 computers, Subtract Stock will change the quantity to 98).
- Out of Stock Status: select "Out of Stock", "In Stock", "2-3 days", or "Preorder" as the message shown on the product page when the product's quantity reaches 0.
- Requires Shipping: If the product requires shipping, select "Yes". If not, select "No".
- SEO keyword: create a keyword for search engine optimization of this product. It will be seen in the URL of the product page. Therefore, the keyword created must be unique for every product.
- Image: clicking "Browse Folders" will lead the administrator to the Image manager to upload a new image.
- Data Available: the date when this product will become available for purchase.
- Dimensions: enter the length by width by height of the product if there are dimensions to include.
- Length Class: determines the metric units for the dimensions above.
- Weight: Enter a number for the weight.
- Weight Class: Specify the units of weight for the number entered into "Weight".
- Status: Enabling makes the product publicly available in the store. Disabling allows the product to be edited in the administration , but hides it from the store front .
- Sort Order: When the product is sorted in a list, a number assigns it a priority. A product with a sorting order or 2 will be placed higher than a product with a sorting order of 3, but lower than a product with a sorting order of 1.
The Links tab specifies which pages OpenCart will show the product on:
- Manufacturer: Selecting the product's manufacturer will place the product on the manufacturer's page. Select manufacturers can be viewed on the home page if added to the manufacturer banner.
- Categories: Check the categories that the product will be placed into. The product will be listed on the category's page in the store.
- Filters: Select the filters to be applied to this product if your Filter module is enabled. See Filters for more information.
- Stores: Check which stores will sell this product. Clicking "Default" applies if there is only one store to be managed.
- Downloads: If the product is a downloadable product, select the file that will be included with the purchase.
- Related Products: In this space, type any related products for this product. These products will be displayed on that product's page for the customer to view. When typing in the space, a drop down box will appear with related products.
Attributes are the specifications that are compared between products in the Product Comparison. Attributes are originally created under Catalog > Attributes. In Catalog > Products, selecting an attribute will assign an attribute directly to a specific product. If OpenCart was just installed, it will be blank. Press "Add" and a form below should appear. Fill in the blanks with the attribute name and information, and click "Add Attribute".
For example, if a customer wanted to compare monitor size of a computer monitor with another product with a monitor, we could create an attribute for the product. Under "Attribute" we would call it "Monitor size"; in the Text box area we would type the dimensions of the monitor of that specific product, and click "Add Attribute". See Attributes for a more in depth explanation of attributes.
Options are extra selections that a customer can make on the Product page before adding the product to the shopping cart. Options are first created under Catalog > Options, then assigned to a product that is created under Catalog > Products.
One example of an option is "size". Begin by typing "size" into the search box. Size should appear in a drop down box. Select it, and click on the green add button. On the right, click "Add Option Value".
The Option Values were previously created in the Options section under Catalog. In this section any option can be added, such as "Large". To subtract from the quantity every time a product is purchased with this option, you can select "Yes" under "Subtract Stock". An increase of price can be added to the option value, points, and weight. Click "Add Option Value" to assign that information to that specific option value. You can click "Remove" to erase the option value. See Options for a more in depth explanation of the options feature.
The Discount Tab needs the following information to include a discount for a product:
- Customer Group: A group of customers (made in Sales > Customers > Groups) that meet a criteria to use this discount.
- Quantity: The limit for the amount of products that can apply this discount.
- Priority: Adding a priority number such as 1, 2, or 3, will determine when this discount will be used when other discounts are applied to a customer's order. 1 will apply this discount first, while 2 will apply it second, and so on.
- Price: The discounted price.
- Date Start: The first date the discount will be applied.
- Date End: The last date available for use of the discount; the date the discount will end.
Press "Add Discount" once the information has been filled in. Click "Remove" to remove the discount from the product.
The Special tab is identical to the Discount tab, except that this offer will be considered a special, not a discount. Fill in the customer group, quantity, priority, price, date start, date end.
The images tags let the administrator add additional product images to the product page. The main image was already uploaded in theData tab of Products, so keep in mind these images will be included below that main image on the product page.
You may click "Add Image", then "Browse" to select an image from the Image manager. Assign a number for sorting order. "1" will make it the first additional image, while every descending sorting number will follow it. The image above is an example from a product page in the store front. The large main image was added in the Data tab. The images above were added in the "Image" tab, with the farthest top left assigned as 1, and the following images assigned a lower priority.
Reward Points Tab
Reward points is a feature of OpenCart that assigns customers "loyalty points" for purchasing products from the store. Customers can use these acquired points as a currency to purchase products from the store. You can assign this product a certain number of reward points required for a customer to purchase it with. If you don't want to allow this product to be bought with reward points, you can simply leave this area blank.
Was this answer helpful?
Options in the administration The Options section, under Catalog, lets you customize what...
Reviews Product reviews can be both submitted and viewed by customers on the product page. A...
Information The Information section displays specific company information in the footer of every...
Managing orders When a customer goes through checkout, the information on their order is...
Adding a new return The Return section under Sales > Returns lets you manage merchandise...